Pot Luck Baked Beans
In the spirit of barbecue season and all things summer, we'd like to offer up a real crowd-pleaser. Easy and affordable to make, this recipe has been in our family for generations, and once you give it a try, we bet that you'll be passing it along to your loved ones, too. Enjoy your summer!
PREP TIME: 45 minutes
COOK TIME: 1 hours 0 minutes
1 55-ounce can plain baked beans, drained (don’t use chili or BBQ flavor)
1 55-ounce can kidney or black beans, rinsed and drained
1pound center cut bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces*
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard (we like Coleman’s)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar, divided
1. In a large bowl, mix the baked beans, drained kidney/black beans, yellow mustard, dry mustard, cider vinegar, ketchup and 3/4 cup brown sugar together and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the bacon on medium heat. When it’s about halfway cooked, add the onions and continue cooking until the onions are just beginning to brown at the edges and the bacon is cooked through.
3. Add the bacon and onion mixture to the bean mixture and combine carefully, making sure not to break up the beans.
4. Pour the entire mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar
5. Bake at 375 for approximately 40 minutes until the sugar on top has caramelized and the beans are bubbling. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
* Note: You can prepare through step 4 and leave in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before baking. Definitely try to use center cut bacon for this recipe as it’s lower in fat and you don’t want greasy beans. If you do use regular bacon, drain off some of the fat before adding the onions in step 2.